Thank you so much for the information btw! I am purchasing an online guitar with Spruce top, Sapele back and sides. It adds dimension to my ideas as to what projects to use these two distinct woods for. Torrefied European Spruce - African Mahogany. In my opinion both are great tonewoods anyway and if you like the tone of your 000-15, that’s the main thing! I do not want to use the African because it will not match the existing Honduras. I’ve been playing guitar for several years, and now I’m looking to get myself a Ukelele. The African does not hold its color very well. Its grain is generally tighter than that of African Mahogany. Usually, when someone asks what Sapele is, the answer is invariably – “it’s like Mahogany”. Straight to interlocked grain with a uniformly medium to coarse texture. Typically, in guitar construction, mahogany means Central American Honduran mahogany or African mahogany. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Reactions: Gig Young and Brian N Inside the Luthier's Shop with BigDGuitars.com: African Mahogany great low priced alternative honduran mahogany Registered User : Join Date: Nov 2006. Bought my first uke and it was made a sapele and was curious what it was. Mahogany’s sound can be described as “earthy” “strong” “beefy”. There are many species of tree that are called “mahogany” (some accurately, some not so much). When used as a back/side wood to compliment a brighter sounding top wood, Mahogany is good for mellowing out the brightness and adding some warmth and a stronger mid-range plus softening the highs and reducing the overtones. All of those species get rolled under one moniker and sold as African Mahogany. Honduran Mahogany is becoming increasingly rare. Also like Mahogany, Sapele is a popular wood for guitar necks. African Mahogany wood is one of the most popular exotic tonewoods available for major manufacturers and custom builders. The most obvious issue with African is "ribbon striping". african mahogany doesnt seem to have that characteristics and the other “mahoganies” just dont While Honduran Mahogany is known for its fine, straight grain, African Mahoganyenjoys more variety in graining: Bee’s Wing, Ribboned, and Ropey patterns distinguish this wood from any of its counterparts. I would recommend using a dark stain. I recently got a Martin Backpacker 25th edition. Honduran Mahogany: Honduran Mahogany (Genuine) (Click on an Item Photo for the net sizes) DESCRIPTION: Heartwood color varies from light to dark reddish-brown. Honduran Mahogany is preferred as a top wood over African Mahogany. I've never played a guitar with African mahogany but the sapele guitar I had was similar in tone to my Honduran mahogany guitar. I agree that Taylor is making some really nice guitars. The only real way to tell would be b ya visual inspection if you were familiar with the how the woods differed in looks. Any help with this would be appreciated. Some sites referred to them as the same thing and they do look so very similar, but other sites claimed differences, so to be sure I googled sapele vs mahogany wood. When freshly cut it is a bright orangeish-red, but over time it oxidizes to a golden brown. You may have seen some guitars that have Sapele back and sides or Mahogany back and sides or Mahogany tops but you might wonder what the difference is. Tonally, the best Honduran Mahogany delivers a lively, detailed response, balanced, with a warm character, excellent bass, and vocal midrange. (Architectural Woodworking Forum) Historically, it has been a very economically important wood throughout the Latin America region. Little by little I’m building some experience. Your article was very helpful and I will go for the sapele, since I prefer the sound of steel strings. Thanks. From contributor A: Although I’ve been a die -hard Martin guy, I find that Taylor is now producing some very high quality, affordable guitars. I haven't played a Honduran next to a Cuban Mahogany guitar, so I'm just wondering if the tone varies much, or at all. You’ve probably heard these two woods compared a fair bit. In this context, 'storied' means that the rays line up in horizontal rows, which will tend to create ripple marks on tangential (slab cut) surfaces. Occasional wormholes. African Mahogany, or African hardwood in the Khaya genus, is genuinely part of the Mahogany family. very helpful. This was a well presented education on the different qualities of different woods . 21 Guitar Playing Tips Every Beginner Should Know, Tips for Learning How to Play the Guitar and Sing at the Same Time, Acoustic Guitar Stands: Ways to Keep Your Guitar When Not Playing, Takamine Serial Numbers: What They Can Tell You and How to Decode Them. Sapele is less heard of than Mahogany. #5 02-12-2007, 02:53 PM Mike Deane. Often referred to as having a “woody” tone it’s low overtone content gives it a crisp strong fundamental that is bright and responsive. And so guitar makers have sought sustainable alternatives. I recently began a search for a mahogany top guitar like a D15 and learned that Martin uses both tropical mahogany and sapele interchangeably. After much thought , I finally arrived at the best combo of woods that I feel produce the best tonal sound for me and my style of playing, a mahogany top with Sapele back/sides. It isn’t as hard as African Mahogany or Sapele. Comment from contributor M: I have used a lot of both species. We have used 1000's of bd/ft of African for exterior millwork in the past 5 years. Copyright © 2015 - 2020 - SixStringAcoustic.com - Privacy Policy. It is similar to Mahogany, and it’s fair to compare the two because Mahogany would be the closest to Sapele. Most guitarists would have heard of Mahogany and it is a very popular back and sides wood and wood for necks. ... African Mahogany. Forum Responses I was looking for wood textures and came across sapele when looking for mahogany. Ribbon-stripe Cuban Mahogany, Swietenia mahogani — $700. Sapele then adds some extra high end into the mix. It’s denser, finer-grained, and ridiculously beautiful. Well done article. Yeah it’s hard to know if yours is Sapele or Hog. Sapele just smells better. My dad’s old Martin D18 was the guitar I grew up with so when I went looking for a new guitar, Taylor’s description of sapele in their 300 series, helped me decide on a 310. This means things like density, color, ease of work and finish are all up for grabs from one board to the next. It should also be noted that Sapele on one guitar (with different materials and construction) will sound different to Sapele on another – and the same goes for Mahogany. The subject pretty much says it all. Love the education. Your article is really well done, and answers everything a musician would be looking for when they come across your page. I am going to build a bar using either Honduras or African mahogany. Mahogany is a dense, medium weight wood that yields a wide range of guitar body weights, depending upon the source of the wood. It is not as hard as the African Mahogany and it is easier to bend. For example I have already “discovered” the silk & steel strings (Martin) you suggest for beginners, which I use on my parlors , Dimitris (zaosan) – hitthewave.wordpress.com.
Social Work In Mental Health, Tretinoin Ruined My Skin Reddit, Psalm 17:5 Meaning, Whirlpool Wed9750ww0 Heating Element, Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica Weather October, Questions To Ask Program Director Interview, Diy Garden Arch Plans, How Long Does Lidocaine Injection Last In Toe, Ragnarok Mobile Database,