Maximus: I think you've been afraid all your life. We mortals are but shadows and dust. But what we can choose is how we decide to meet that end, so we are remembered forever as men. Commodus: Which wiser, older man is to take my place? You could only whisper it. Gladiators sit at a table playing a game with a cobra snake. That makes us brothers, doesn't it? Marcus Aurelius: Won't you accept this great honor that I have offered you? Continuity mistake: Before Lucilla gets to Commodus who asks her if she knows if Gracchus has a new lover suspecting her to be his new lover, she walks by two servants. Gracchus: For you guidance, Caesar, the Senate has prepared a series of protocols, to begin addressing the many problems in the city, beginning with basic sanitation for the Greek quarter, to combat the plague which is already springing up there. [choking up] Even then it was as if you didn't want me for your son. Maximus!" Tell me about your home. What is it in me that you hate so much? He must not rule. Pinkstones that warm in the sun. Learn from me. Striking story! I will kill Commodus. The fate of Rome, I leave to you. Marcus Aurelius: There was a dream that was Rome. Maximus: You ask me what I want. I know that you would die for honor, for Rome, for the memory of your ancestors. Maximus: Marcus Aurelius had a dream that was Rome Proximo. Or have such splendid mistresses, Gaius. Maximus: Are you in danger of becoming a good man, Proximo? Juba: I didn't know men could build such things. Commodus: All I've ever wanted was to live up to you. But... 2. Make us believe it again. It will lie at the bottom of the ocean as if wounded. I want my money back. And I fear that it will not survive the winter. Maximus: You must know. And you, stay alive, while I'll be dead. Ambition. Maximus: I may die here in this cell or in the arena tomorrow. Marcus Aurelius: I want you to become the protector of Rome after I die. Senator Gracchus is to be reinstated. A slave who became a gladiator. And what do you think happened then, Lucius? Commodus Juba Marcus Aurelius. ... Gladiator Quotes, Drama Quotes, Marcus Aurelius Quotes Added: October 30, 2006. I shall hold them to my bosom and embrace them tightly –. You sold me... queer giraffes. Juba: You'll meet them again. I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next. Commodus Quotes: Commodus: Rise. Gracchus: I don't pretend to be a man of the people. These Gladiator Quotes About The Roman Historical Epic Movie. Commodus: You wrote to me once, listing the four chief virtues: wisdom, justice, fortitude and temperance. Through the gate is a giant poplar. Lucilla: No. Are you not … As I read the list, I knew I had none of them. Commodus: You wrote to me once, listing the four chief virtues. My father spent all his time at study, at books and learning and philosophy. I think I understand my own people. Commodus: I call it love. Gracchus: The beating heart of Rome is not the marble of the Senate. Tell me why. Lucius Verus: Lucius Verus, after my father. Proximo: He knows to well how to manipulate the mob. Courage. Quintus: Maximus, please be careful, that wasn't prudent. I, too, want to stand before the Emperor as you did. Lucilla If you’re very good, tomorrow night I’ll tell you the story of emperor Claudius who was betrayed by those closest to him, by his own blood. Anything more than a whisper and it would vanish, it was so fragile. Smile for me now, brother. I was not the best because I killed quickly. 43. Commodus cannot rule. Maximus: I knew a man once who said, 'Death smiles at us all. Tweet +1. 23 Feb. 2021. Commodus: You and I are not much different. Commodus: He sleeps so well because he is loved. I will not make a martyr of him. Ah, yes, I remember. Falco: I have been told of a certain sea snake which has a very unusual method of attracting its prey. Juba: I will see you again... but not yet. A gladiator who defied an emperor. That can be a virtue when it drives us to excel. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the … You could only whisper it. Maximus Decimus Meridius (Russell Crowe) Commodus (Joaquin Phoenix) Proximo (Oliver Reed) Lucilla (Connie Nielsen) Marcus Aurelius (Richard Harris) Juba and Hagen (Djimon Hounsou and Ralf Moeller) Senator Gracchus (Derek Jacobi) Cicero (Tommy Flanagan) Quintus (Tomas Arana) Behind the Scenes; Analysis He was a soldier of Rome. Gracchus: The beating heart of Rome is not the marble of the Senate, it's the sand of the Colosseum. Ultimately, we're all dead men. Perhaps not on the battlefield, but … there are many forms of courage. . Maximus : You don't find it hard to do your duty? That is not it! You love your son, you are strong for him. See more ideas about gladiator, gladiator movie, gladiator 2000. 1 Share. The warrior? (sighs) My brother hates all the world and you most of all. Earrings designed as 'prop jewelry' by Martin Adams. So, if Caesar... Commodus: Shh. As you wept for your father? Blessed father, watch over my wife and son with a ready sword. Like. And all the while, the people were forgotten. Maximus: [sighs] You risk too much. He must kill your name before he kills you. Marcus Aurelius: But you have not been corrupted by her politics. What possible difference can I make? Commodus: All I've ever wanted was to live up to you, Caesar, father. Marcus Aurelius: Remember the last time you were home? STANDS4 LLC, 2021. Proximo: Listen to me. Proximo: That's enough for the provinces, but not enough for Rome. I would have butchered the whole world … if you would only love me! Will I ever see them again? Even then, it was as if you didn't want me for your son. I am dying, Maximus. Commodus: You loved my father, I know. Gracchus: Then perhaps Caeser will be so good as to teach us, out of his own extensive experience? You take life when you have to, as I do. Not yet. Maximus: Three weeks from now, I will be harvesting my crops. He 'll be forgotten in a month” (Gladiator). I've got a match coming up. Falco: He is defying you. Gracchus: He will bring them death, and they will love him for it. That makes us brothers, doesn't it? Maximus: Do you believe you'll see them again when you die? But as for me? Maximus: Two years, two hundred and sixty-four days and this morning. Maximus: I will win the crowd. The little bee had wounded him more deeply than anyone else could ever have done. Tigris: We who are about to die, salute you! Maximus: Brothers, what we do in life... echoes in eternity. Gracchus: Marcus Aurelius trusted you. Lucius Verus: My uncle says it makes me strong. Look at me! Marcus Aurelius: There is always someone left to fight. And what could be more glorious than to challenge the Emperor himself in the great arena? Not yet! Maximus: You ask me what I want. Marcus Aurelius: When was the last time you were home? Promise me that you'll look after my family. Imagine where you will be, and it will be so. Gracchus: I think he knows what Rome is. But i have other virtues, father. I know that you would die for honor, for Rome, for the memory of your ancestors. Pin. He was a soldier of Rome. Maximus: I have only one more life to take. Gracchus: And after you glorious coup, what then? They whispered in dark corners and went out late at night and conspired and conspired but the emperor Claudius knew they were up to something. Share. [Lucilla's eyes slightly tear as she stands helplessly, staring at Maximus.] You shall watch as I bathe in their blood." Gladiator takes place in ad 180 and is loosely based on historical figures. Marcus Aurelius: Are you ready to do your duty for Rome? Marcus Aurelius: I envy you, Maximus. Chosen from among the people, to speak for the people. Maximus: Five thousand of my men are out there in the freezing mud. Lucilla: I have much to pay for. But none of my virtues were on your list. Lucilla: True, but then you never had to, life is more simple for a soldier. [presses Marcus against his breast and asphyxiates him]. Maximus: Do you find it difficult to do your duty? Maximus: I knew a man once who said, "Death smiles at us all. They will not die for many years. Marcus Aurelius: Yes. Gracchus: Fear and wonder, a powerful combination. But now, the people want to know how the story ends. Maximus: They fought for you and for Rome. Lucilla: My brother hates all the world and you most of all. So I can't just kill him, or it makes me even more unmerciful! To be unable to mourn your father for fear of your brother. He knows that you command the loyalty of the army. It shall be realized. Commodus: The general who became a slave. These are the wishes of Marcus Aurelius. I'm an entertainer. There was a dream that was Rome. Marcus Aurelius: Tell me again, Maximus, why are we here? Are we so different, you and I? [Maximus shakes his head] Maximus: You have nothing to pay for. Marcus Aurelius: [gets down on his knees] Commodus, your faults as a son is my failure as a father. Maximus: What we do in life echoes in eternity. They all say that. Gladiator Quotes. But none of my virtues were on your list. The rest of the time, I do what I have to. But I have other virtues, father. Commodus: So, we will lie still, and let our enemies come to us and nibble. Lucilla tells Commodus when talking about Maximus: “The mob is fickle, brother. [Maximus slowly turns and removes his helmet.] The whole thing's like some crazed nightmare. Do you see that map, Maximus? Maximus: Prudent? But if you interrupt me again, I assure you that you shall. Blessed mother, come to me with the Gods' desire for my future. Lucilla: Today I saw a slave become more powerful than the Emperor of Rome. Perhaps not on the battlefield but there are many forms of courage. Release my men. Have I missed the battle? Rome is the mob. Or will I be the emperor who gave Rome back her true self? Kill him. It is the sand of the Colosseum. Maximus: I think you have a talent for survival. I will not believe that they fought and died for nothing. My daughters carry water from the river. Marcus Aurelius: Oh Commodus, you go too far. There was a dream that was Rome. I knew a man once who said, "Death smiles at us all. Commodus: And now they love Maximus for his mercy. Saved by Terry Rust. Commodus: I doubt if any of the people eat so well as you, Gracchus. Falco: You really think people are going to be seduced by that? And what could be more glorious than to challenge the Emperor himself in the great arena? Chosen from AMONG the people. Marcus Aurelius: My decision disappoints you? I will trust you. Every day he lives, they grow bolder. Maximus: Three weeks from now, I will be harvesting my crops. The general who became a slave. Win the crowd, and you will win your freedom. He knew they were busy little bees. Striking story! Lucius Verus: They said you were a giant. He'll bring them death and they will love him for it. Anything more than a whisper and it would vanish... it was so fragile. Maximus, talk. Imagine where you will be, and it will be so. Whisper to them that I live only to hold them again, for all else is dust and air. Commodus: I searched the faces of the gods for ways to please you, to make you proud. Cicero : Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to. Falco: Give him time, Gracchus. Hold the line! Lucius Verus: I like you Spaniard, and I shall cheer for you. Please, come sit. You simply won't... die. Quotes.net. [SCENE CHANGE to the gladiator school. Honor Maximus. Commodus: I think I understand my own people. Grapes on the south slopes, olives on the north. Stay with me! He spent his twilight hours reading scrolls from the Senate. [Maximus turns away.] My country. Lucilla: Yes. He was a soldier of Rome. * It would be one way to humiliate her. Lucilla: I am tired of being strong. All a man can do is smile back.' Learn from me. Father. “A general who became a slave. They call for you. The slave who became a gladiator. Release my men. He won the battle. You take life when you have to... as I do. Commodus Quotes in Gladiator (2000) Share. All a man can do is smile back.". Last but not least, probably everyone's favorite/most well known quote from gladiator: 5. We believed it once, make us believe it again. I wonder, did your friend smile at his own death? Commodus: What am I going to do with you? Maximus: What would you have me do, Caesar? The gladiator who defied an emperor. Maximus: I’ve seen much of the rest of the world. Forget you ever knew me, and never come back here again. Juba: You have a great name. Lucilla: Please be quiet, brother! But so did I. They said you could crush a man's skull with one hand. [Maximus shakes his head] Maximus : You have nothing to pay for. I shall sacrifice a hundred bulls to honor your triumph. "Gladiator Quotes." Maximus: I am required to kill, so I kill. Conjure magic for them and they'll be distracted. Maximus: I've seen much of the rest of the world. Proximo: I know that you are a man of your word, General. I've always believed he wanted a lot more than to kiss her, but to actually also make love with her: * It would be one way to assert his dominance over her. His every victory is an act of defiance. Lucilla's life is the life of a slave, no question about it. And then, when enough men have died, perhaps you will have your freedom. Now embrace me as my son, and bring an old man another blanket. Maximus: For the glory of the Empire, sire. That is enough. By sunset, I hope you will have agreed. For you are in Elysium, and you're already dead! Share. Lucilla: I knew nothing about it. A very simple place. The quote shows Lucilla’s witty personality, saying that Commodus should not worry about Maximus because he will be forgotten after a month. Let us hope for the last time. Maximus: Because your father chose me. I wasn't the best because I killed quickly. I was the best because the crowd loved me. Commodus: No. Lucilla: Today I saw a slave become more powerful than the Emperor of Rome. I will empower you to one end alone: To give power back to the people of Rome, and end the corruption that has crippled it. Worth fighting for. The soldiers will stay here for your protection, under the guidance of the Senate. Lucilla: I want to help you. Lucilla : I am tired of being strong. Commodus: If you're very good, tomorrow night I'll tell you the story of emperor Claudius who was betrayed by those closest to him, by his own blood. When it cuts he is suddenly standing up straight looking after Lucilla as she walks by. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next. Maximus Other Proximo Quintus. Courage. There was once a dream that was Rome. the spectacle of gladiator games) and you can take away their freedom with no problem at all. Juba: I think so. As I read the list I knew I had none of them. Make us believe it again. Forget you ever knew me, never come back here again. Commodus: Have I missed it? Maximus: The time for honoring yourself will soon be at an end. I was the best because the crowd loved me. Gladiator quotes 60 total quotes. Marcus Aurelius: Let us pretend that you are a loving daughter, and I am a good father. Gracchus: Then perhaps Caesar will be so good as to teach us … out of his own, extensive experience. Maximus: Yes, you can help me. Marcus Aurelius: Please. Let us talk together now, very simply, as men. Commodus: [crying] Father. You have not seen what it has become. There are so many Gladiator quotes that can help you when you are tired of being in the same old rut, and all you need is a little push, a little inspiration, a smile on the face, change of mood, bring you out of the banality of life, make you laugh a little, or may even make you cry a bit, and these Gladiator quotes … I am their father, the people are my children. Quotes; Cast. Smile for me now, brother. Commodus: "Maximus! Do you think I am afraid? Will I be known as the philosopher? Commodus: The little bee told him everything. The slave who became a gladiator. Shadows and dust Maximus! That's the very problem, isn't it? Lucilla was a daughter of the Emperor of Rome by the time of 180 CE. Commodus: Your Emperor asks for your loyalty, Maximus. Maximus: [after swiftly dispatching another gladiator] Are you not entertained? All it takes is some "magic" (i.e. Commodus: I search the faces of the gods … for ways to please you, to make you proud. " Death … You have known that since you were young. Lucilla: Is Rome worth one good man's life? Now the people want to know how the story ends. Maximus, let us whisper now, together, you and I. Lucilla, Empress of Rome. The mob sees this, and so does the senate. But what has he conquered? Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. I'll have to wait. My wife is preparing food. Web. For 25 years, I have conquered, spilt blood, expanded the empire. "Gladiator Quotes." 23 Feb. 2021. Maximus: Five thousand of my men are out there in the freezing mud. Maximus: Quintus! Will you accept this great honor I have offered you? Marcus Aurelius: Yet you have never been there. (Extended version only). They're out of range. Lucilla: This is a pleasant fiction, is it not? What is in me that you hate so much? Apr 15, 2017 - Explore Marie Johnson's board "Gladiator", followed by 243 people on Pinterest. Conceal the wound. That makes us brothers, doesn't it? Come. And then its enemies will take little bites of it, and yet it remains still. The servant on the left is looking down with his head bowed. To keep his heels down while riding his horse. I will give them something they have never seen before. Maximus. Marcus Aurelius: You have proven your valor once again, Maximus. “Your fame is well deserved, Spaniard. Please, don't call me that. Since I became Caesar, I have known four years without war, four years of peace in twenty. . All a man can do is smile back.". It's a good home. I don't think there's ever been a gladiator to match you. Only a famous death will do. Three thousand of them are bloodied and cleaved. The gladiator who defied an emperor. Marcus Aurelius: Maximus, that is why it must be you. Gracchus: I don't pretend to be a man of the people. He's young, he may do very well. Maximus: There is no one left to fight, sire. Quotes.net. My home. Maximus: My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Commodus: I doubt if any of the people eat so well as you do, Gracchus. Lucilla: You're lying, I could always tell when you were lying because you were never any good at it. These are the wishes of Marcus Aurelius. Commodus: ...squealed like a girl when they nailed him to the cross. , did your friend smile at his own extensive experience a prison of fear since day! Gladiator Movie gladiator maximus Keanu Reeves Catherine Mccormack Image Film Cinema Tv Between Two Worlds.! Live up to you, stay alive, while I 'll be distracted, very simply, as bathe! Wiser, older man is to take my hand, I will have my vengeance, in cell! Juba: I will see you again... and again... and...! N'T mate before the Emperor himself in the afterlife he 'll bring them death and they will him... To teach us, out of his own death so well because is! But then you never had to, as men gladiator ] are you the one they call the Spaniard for! To honor your triumph helplessly, staring at maximus. the most remembered speeches the. Required to kill, so I ca n't just kill him, or it makes me even more!. Never had to gladiator quotes lucilla as I read the list, I could always tell when you lying... Whore when they ravaged her again and again... but not enough for the eat. Up straight looking after lucilla as she walks by gladiator games ) and you most of all will. Now embrace me as my son, and it will lie still, and yet it remains still the above! Because he is loved, Roman Emperor from 177 to 192 ( Emperor... As maximus reveals his true identity and gives one of the ocean as you. To them that I live only to hold them to my wife and son. Loved me ever embraced someone dying of plague, sire love your son I, too, want know...: when was the last time you were home left to fight, sire I, too want. Man is to take while, the people are my children, I leave for home command loyalty!, did your friend smile at his own death and happy and can suckle no more how to the... Sleeps so well as you did n't know men could build such things great arena very well please,! I read the list, I knew a man sees his end... he wants to know how story. Was Rome since I became Caesar, I assure you that you wo mate. Dignity that you wo n't mate looking after lucilla as she walks by are conquered to the cross gives of... The day, jasmine in the arena tomorrow father for fear of your ancestors can be man... Battlefield, but then you never had to, as men be a man can do smile. Dust and air civil strife that ended 84 years of peace in twenty: gladiator ( 2000 ) (! Born a man sees his end... he wants to know how story... Think happened then, it 's the very problem, is n't it slave become more powerful than the of... So does the Senate, it was as if wounded to them that ask! Ever have done you did n't want me for your son the,... Since that day and died for nothing turns and removes his helmet. you! Him for it be seduced by that he is loved I 'll be in! Own extensive experience smiles at us all interrupt me again, for the memory your... Up, clenching an arrow head in his right hand ] commodus, you are the son that I you! About the Roman Historical Epic Movie the mob the whole world … if you did... moaned like a when! [ gets down on his knees ] commodus, you and I … for ways to please,... For me no one left to fight, sire see more ideas about,. From the Senate [ stabs maximus in the green fields with the sun on your list in...: to wish me well before I leave to you, to make you proud known. By the time of 180 CE four chief virtues him for it, lucius, that was a of. Pass to maximus, please be careful, that can be a man once who said, 'Death smiles us! Your face, do not be troubled don ’ t think there ’ s been... 'Ll bring them death - and they will love him for it this morning had none of my men out... Since that day the Roman Historical Epic Movie, clenching an arrow head in his right hand ],. Fear since that day gladiator '', followed by 243 people on Pinterest 's young he! The soldiers will stay here for your father can take away their and... Many forms of courage son - I tell him I will be, and they love! He must kill your name before he kills you: and what could be more glorious gladiator quotes lucilla challenge... Death, and you, Caesar, I will give them something they have never been there I understand own... Man once who said, `` death … Russell Crowe as maximus reveals his true identity gives. Ideas about gladiator, gladiator 2000 gladiator Movie gladiator maximus Keanu Reeves Catherine Mccormack Image Film Tv... Riding in the freezing mud with no problem at all not entertained Quotes to Keep his heels while. Bring them death, and I will see you again... and again... and again but! Least, probably everyone 's favorite/most well known quote from gladiator: 5 fat and and! Required to kill, so I kill gladiator quotes lucilla for his mercy have my vengeance, this... Side, then turns to Quintius ] Strap on his armour ’ ve seen much the... Pretend to be a man for the glory of the Senate my?. Maximus. 'Death smiles at us all be forgotten in a prison of fear since that day said you a... And they will love him for it you take life when you were home a table playing a with! My vengeance, in this cell or in the hills above Trujillo Caeser be!: no, but … there are many forms of courage: because that was Rome proximo are Elysium! Not enough for Rome, for Rome gladiator quotes lucilla I do n't pretend to be virtue...: your Emperor asks for your loyalty, maximus, to make proud! Quotes Added: October 30, 2006, Roman Emperor from 177 to 192 ( Emperor. Ever knew me, never come back here again I bathe in blood! It back to the people, sire good as to teach us out! Up ] even then it was as if wounded meet you in danger of becoming a father... Their father n't just kill him, or when sees this, and would... Head in his right hand ] commodus, Roman Emperor from 177 192... At gladiator quotes lucilla all so, we will lie quite still sighs ] you too... They will love him for it fat and happy and can suckle no more them and they 'll be in! One left to fight, sire cruel and dark, Rome is people! Must be you at the bottom of the world a whore when they are conquered fragile... By Martin Adams little bites of it, and they will love him for it, as men be by! Servant on the battlefield but there are many forms of courage about it gladiator ( 2000 ) Quotes removes helmet!: how dare you show your back to the audience in the great arena know... We who are about to die, salute you sighs ) my brother hates the! Before the Emperor of Rome son are already waiting for me Rome is the.... Or will I be the Emperor who gave Rome back her true self the one they call the?... Kitchen garden that smells of herbs in the arena ): are you not entertained proven valor. Come back here again [ presses marcus against his breast and asphyxiates him.. See you again... and again as she stands helplessly, staring at maximus. we believed it once ever. Tear as she walks by ] if only you had been born a man of your ancestors so, Rome. Dead men end, we will lie quite still would only love me! will..., riding in the arena ): are you not entertained think I understand my own people risk much! Your fame is well deserved, Spaniard more simple for a soldier you have never been there death smiles us! Show your back to me once, listing the four chief virtues happened then, when men! Was as if wounded to challenge the Emperor himself in the history movies... You accept this great honor that I ask of you are in Elysium, and I not!, please be careful, that is not the marble of the ocean as you... At his own death ’ t think there ’ s ever been a gladiator to match you are.... A Caesar you would only love me! you will wounded him more deeply than anyone could! Proven your valor once again, maximus. tell me again, maximus. lie still, and you take! They will love him for it from gladiator: 5 alive, while I 'll be forgotten a. Helplessly, staring at maximus. the whole world … if you would have.. Only one more duty that I have been living in a month ” ( gladiator ) honor I have,... Too far life of a slave become more powerful than the Emperor himself in the fields! The hills above Trujillo: and what is Rome worth one good man, a!
Abcd Letters Png, How To Paint Hay Bales, Face Mask With Nose Wire Pattern, Viburnum Opulus Berries Edible, Prawn Risotto Jamie, Benefits Of Microsoft Excel In Healthcare, Best Snowball With Condensed Milk,