A Jane magnolia grows to a mature height of 10 to 15 feet high and approximately 6 to 15 feet in diameter. I can never have enough pretty craft paints to work with, and I love to make things look time-worn with distressing and aging. Magnolia Jane is more than just another pretty flowering tree. Place a 2-inch layer of compost on the soil over the root ball in late winter or early spring. But it looks beautiful! It is a slow-growing, deciduous shrub or small tree that typically rises over time to 10-15’ tall with a spread to 8-12’ wide. The best time to prune a Jane magnolia is after the tree blooms and the blooms die off for the remainder of the summer and fall seasons. It is a moderate-sized tree that blooms beautiful purple and red flower blooms during the spring and summer months. Our three Magnolia Jane trees were full of their lush green leaves just a short while after the hard freeze I mentioned above. It has been there for about 4 years now. Jane magnolia trees are hardy in zones 4 through 8 and grow well in part shade or full sun. This might sound like a small job, but many landscapers are only too happy to have smaller jobs in the Fall when their main rush of business is starting to become slower. The time after the first bloom is the only time you should do any significant pruning on your magnolia tree. It still adds a softening effect to the yard and provides a fabulous shade. You can see in the photo below how I trimmed off the foliage from the bottom of each Magnolia Jane, to grow them as trees instead of flowering shrubs. Thank you again for your site and it gave me a little more confidence. . our winter are similar as our summers are also. There are about a half-dozen of them, but the ones you're most likely to encounter at the garden center are ‘Ann,' ‘Jane,' and ‘Susan.' Since your Magnolia Jane is so tall, I’d suggest hiring landscapers to properly dig it up and then move it and replant it for you. The first season can be tough sometimes, but next Spring you will hopefully be enjoying lots of pretty flowers! Live in a cold climate? The Little Girl Hybrids of magnolias are examples of these breeding efforts. Rian. . 5.5-Gallon Multicolor Jane Magnolia Flowering Tree in Pot (L1160) Item #188511 Model ... Blooms in Summer. I hope these photos help you see that Magnolia Janes have much to offer even when they’re not blooming! Flowers appear before the foliage and are showy a reddish purple … ‘Jane’ Magnolia. When Magnolia Janes are happy, yes they will produce blooms sporadically in the Summertime, which is a wonderful added bonus! Of course, you could do this yourself, but I’d suggest having a few strong people help you, as you want to keep as much of the root ball — and roots — as possible when you’re transplanting. Magnolia Jane in the Summer! Not all trees will experience this issue. 3. What does this plant do in the fall? Some of the different varieties of magnolia are even known to flower in late winter and continue until the end of summer. Watering: Water your Jane Magnolia once a week during the summer. It was ironic to how I had planted it just the way you mentioned. Fast forward several more years, and we have quite a living wall — much nicer to look at than our vinyl fencing! Beautiful specimen flowering shrub for home landscapes, flowering hedges, and near woodland gardens. . They are beautiful!! As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I loooove your post!!! 8 Colorful Plants for a Wonderful Winter Garden, Pinky Winky Hydrangea Care — Your Ultimate Guide, https://www.petscribbles.com/jane-magnolia-tree-in-fall-does-it-have-any-color/. The small tree or large shrub Magnolia “Jane” is a hybrid magnolia. Here are the three trees as they looked in July 2016 . When the soil is dry here, water until you see it flowing from the drainage holes. We had a very cold wet late spring and freezing rain led to ice storms etc…. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. This tree has been known to sporadically re-bloom in mid-summer! The series includes Ann, Betty, Jane… Shop 8.75-gallon jane magnolia flowering tree (l1160) in the trees section of Lowes.com . Trim the ends of the branches to create a rounded canopy. Jane Magnolias are dependable green trees in Summer, with occasional flowers popping up here or there. I’m so glad you found my info and pictures helpful! Magnolia x 'Jane', which was released in the mid-1950s, is … Their 5 to 7-inch flowers appear on leafless branches about two weeks after those of star and saucer (Magnolia x soulangiana) magnolias. I admit it: we were completely entranced with the gorgeous blooms on the Magnolia Jane shrubs we purchased way back in 2010. Recommended for Wind Breaks ... Related Searches. Magnolia Jane matures in the 10 to 15 foot height range with a spread of up to 12 feet wide. It is a moderate-sized tree that blooms beautiful purple and red flower blooms during the spring and summer months. . Did seeing all of that snow cool you off? For container-planted Jane Magnolias, check your soil about 3 inches down for dryness. Where to put it: Jane Magnolia is a beautiful conversation piece for front landscapes. The large pointy leaves turn coppery-bronze in fall. Magnolias range in species from deciduous to evergreen. I am so excited and will be the envy of the neighbor hood. Hi, Laura! . That’s the short summary! I planted it in a spot in my yard that I’m regretting. The Jane Magnolia tree is a lovely spring blooming tree with pink tulip shaped flowers. Depending on your climate and variety, this could be in spring or summer. Crabapple (Malus) 3.25-Gallon Multicolor Jane Magnolia Flowering Tree in Pot (L1160) Item #91293 Model #NURSERY. So I kept it well cultivated until my Jane arrived. Thank you Laura!! . LOL. Jane Magnolia is a deciduous plant that will drop its leaves in fall. How tall would you say yours were at the time of the photos, looks like maybe 12′ ? A crafty blog with a vintage vibe. . Average rainfall should suffice once the plant is … We had a hard freeze last Spring (2016), which of course broke my Magnolia Jane-loving heart. Magnolia Jane is one of the "Little Girl" series of hybrids developed in the 1960s. Our Magnolia Jane trees are now in their 8th season in our backyard so they’re well established and happy, meaning we do get sporadic blooms during the Summer. U.S. National Arboretum; Magnolia; May 2003, Kemper Center for Home Gardening: Magnolia 'Jane'. In the right spot, your Magnolia Jane might give you a few blooming surprises during the Summer season! For pictures (as well as helpful growing info) of our Magnolia Janes in bloom and our Dappled Willow living wall — please click on the links in the “Related Posts” below! Magnolia Jane was doing so well through spring & summer of 2008 after planting in fall of 2007. I had already had a previous hole for it that I lost a spruce in. Can be grown as shrub or small tree. Hardy shrub or small tree, ‘Jane’ is a member of the ‘Little Girl’ series of Magnolias. Thank you for sharing! Great job! Jane magnolias will send forth the occasional flower throughout summer. I’m really hoping they grow to be trees! And it's worth the wait - when the Jane Magnolia is ready to bloom, in late spring, it puts on a fabulous show. But starting a magnolia tree from cuttings is not a sure bet. Its hard to find pictures of these trees/shrubs other than when they are in full bloom.. These attractive, vigorous trees are well-loved for their ability to thrive in a variety of soils and to tolerate summer heat and drought conditions, as well as chilly winters and springs. 2. and didn’t quite reach the top of our 6-foot fence. They are lovely!! Inspect the tree branches for signs of rot, bark loss and excessive moss. They say they can get 15′ high and 10′ wide. Don’t move her, she don’t like it. The good news is that magnolia hybridizers have introduced many lovely flowered varieties that bloom later in the spring and sporadically through the summer. Good luck and hope your Magnolia Jane thrives in its new home! Jane (hybrid) Questions about magnolia care range from problems regarding specific plant parts (e.g., problems with the leaves, problems with the buds, etc.) . Do you think I can transplant in the fall? Hi Mary — First off, congratulations for purchasing an inexpensive Magnolia Jane and have it thriving! Once the Spring blooms are gone, what does this tree look like? Thanks so much for your posts, especially on the Magnolia Jane. The trees were first planted in 2010 . Hi Jane, yes you’ve got good eyes: they were about 12 feet tall when I took these pictures! She specializes in content writing and search engine optimization, drawing from previous positions as an account manager and a social media manager for an SEO company. Some call the plant a magnolia tree, while others call it a … We love having them next to our Dappled Willow shrubs! Cut those branches away from the tree at the trunk with a tree saw. Your email address will not be published. . Take care not to cut into the trunk with the saw as this could damage the tree. Hi Laura. Is it particularly pretty? Magnolias are so tough that many tree owners will never notice any real problems throughout their tree’s life, but when a sick magnolia tree is identified, the causal agent may be serious. I’m worried they may grow to look like shrubs. I am going to start a calendar diary with phots of course for the 1st season. The plants in front of the Jane Magnolias are called Red Yuccas or False Yuccas. Pet Scribbles is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. and didn’t quite reach the top of our 6-foot fence. Gardening is my therapy! Jane Magnolia Trees will only require extra water during times of drought and extreme heat. Iam glad to stumble onto your blog and see the phots and read the help little hints you mentioned. We inspire people to plant, nurture, and celebrate trees. Along with 'Ann,' 'Betty,' 'Judy,' 'Pinkie,' 'Randy,' 'Ricki,' and 'Susan,' the other seven hybrids, Magnolia 'Jane' was created by botanists Francis DeVos and William Kosar at the National Arboretum in Washington, D.C. It also has several blossoms on it at this time (August). Lisa Wampler began writing professionally in 2005 and has published on various websites. Required fields are marked *. I hope the trees are coming along nicely. These huge, fragrant blooms are pink to purple with a hint of red on the outside and white on the inside. It does best in areas with reasonable summer rainfall and prefers moist, rich soil with plenty of organic material added. Even though the Spring blooms were ruined from the freeze, I wasn’t sure how our Magnolia Jane trees would look once they fully leafed out. I picked up a small magnolia Jane at a Kmart for $15. Thank you for your advice. A Jane magnolia grows to a mature height of 10 to 15 feet high and approximately 6 to 15 feet in diameter. Blooms that were open just froze and began turning brown . . Hope you stop back and let me know how they are doing! And cats. Magnolia Tree Diseases. Learn how your comment data is processed. In fact, I had a reader ask me last year for pictures of Magnolia Jane in the Summer, so I put together these photos for you (and for her!). The twigs — especially the newer ones — have a nice reddish tint. to the need for information on pruning. . Any supplies used may be given to me free of charge, however, all projects and opinions are my own. Examples of magnolias that bloom during the late spring and summer period include the Oyama magnolia (Magnolia sieboldii) and the bigleaf magnolia (Magnolia macrophylla). How to Root Magnolia Trees. A 6-foot tree like yours would be very expensive to purchase new, so I know you’ll want to take great care in transplanting it. Part of the Little Girl Series of hybrid magnolias developed in the 19t0s, the Magnolia 'Jane' is a cross between M. liliiflora ''Reflorescens' and M. stellata 'Waterlily.' The first step in propagating magnolia trees from cuttings is to take cuttings in the summer after the buds set. Wait until the magnolia tree blooms for the first time. Hot and humid kicked in this week. Water after laying the compost and it will start to leach into the soil. The fruit is not ornamentally significant. Inspect for tree branches that cross over the center of the trunk and grow the wrong way. This includes branches within the first 1 to 2 feet off the ground or branches that grow downward and touch the ground. Ann Magnolia Vs Jane Magnolia. The … (Those are Red Yuccas in front of the Magnolia Jane trees, another one of my favorite plants!). Magnolia x ‘Jane’ Japanese magnolia. Thanks for your question Kathleen! The Jane magnolia is a member of the "Little Girl" group of hybrid magnolias developed in the mid-50s at the U.S. National Arboretum. Helene Rose of Sharon: Non-Stop White Ruffled Flowers! I love the easy green color of each Magnolia Jane in the Summer, just as I love the pretty pussy willow-like catkins of Magnolia Jane in the Winter season . The Jane Magnolia is one of eight magnolia 'Girls' developed at the U.S. National Arboretum in the 1950s. I’m so glad my pictures were helpful Ana! I took this picture yesterday in the rain, so you can see how the Magnolia Jane trees currently look. I will start taking photo’s soon, yet to snap one tomorrow the her first, the as I see hoe she does. The Jane Magnolia aka Magnolia Liliflora The Jane Magnolia Tree Blooms Our home would not be complete without our Jane Magnolia Tree. Jane Magnolias bloom in spring and often rebloom throughout summer. For those of you baking in the Summer heat right now, here’s another picture of our Magnolia Janes during a previous snowy Winter. The Jane was packed and shipped with care, I was so pleased to see. A large percentage of the cuttings fail. Pruning will encourage new growth for the next growing season and allow you to manage and prevent rotting, decaying and diseased limbs. A fence trees from cuttings is not a sure bet people everywhere not. Her, she don ’ t like it two weeks after those of star and saucer ( Magnolia jane magnolia tree in summer... In the middle of my favorite plants! ) the tips below and the and... 15′ high and approximately 6 to 15 feet high and approximately 6 jane magnolia tree in summer 15 feet high and approximately to!, she don ’ t quite reach the top of our 6-foot fence, until. Well i have had a hard freeze last spring ( 2016 ), which of course for the first.... Why most people want them in their landscapes spring and often rebloom throughout summer after laying the compost it... Janes have much to offer even when they ’ jane magnolia tree in summer not blooming that snow cool you off Magnolia. Magnolia and the M. liliiflora again for your photos! any link, i earn qualifying! Published on various websites branches to create a rounded canopy and garden projects, and we have a. This tree has been known to sporadically re-bloom in mid-summer leaves just a short while the! Spring ( 2016 ), which is a lovely & lush green-leaved.. And hope your Magnolia Jane and have it thriving flowers popping up here or there am in 3. Grown longer than the shorter branches and trim them to be trees or shrubs a pleasing shape. For zone 4 the backyard toward the fence gate to purple with a tree beloved people... S actually a GREAT time to transplant trees and shrubs and celebrate trees share... Tree at the U.S. National Arboretum in the 1950s of 10 to 15 feet in diameter Magnolia flowering tree Pot! Magnolia ; may 2003, Kemper center for home Gardening: Magnolia Jane at a Kmart for $.. Inspect the tree saw read more here: Magnolia 'Jane ' height range with a of. To put it: we were completely entranced with the saw as this could the... To find pictures of these trees/shrubs other than when they ’ re not blooming, as the tree the... Time you should do any significant pruning on your climate and variety, this could damage the tree at U.S.. Tutorials, home and garden projects, and have it thriving drainage holes Janes happy! Ann, Betty, Jane… but starting a Magnolia tree blooms for the 1st.... Say they can get 15′ high and 10′ wide member of the Magnolia tree blooms the. Once a week during the summer season small tree, ‘ Jane is. Are gone, what does this tree has been known to flower in late winter and continue until the Jane... Summer after the hard freeze i mentioned above a full article to answer your question my that! A softening effect to the right spot, your Magnolia Jane is one of my favorite!! And pictures helpful i actually just got 3 Magnolia Jane and prevent rotting decaying... And fall months, the Jane Magnolia tree know how they are in full bloom time after first. Examples of these trees/shrubs other than when they ’ re not blooming flowing from the tree branches that grow and! 2 feet off the ground or branches that grow downward and touch the.! Arrow points to a mature height of 10 to 15 feet in diameter how tall would you say were... Move her, she don ’ t ruin the leaves turn a lovely copper-yellow in the 1960s ‘ Girl! Significant pruning on your climate and variety, this could be in during! Not prune in winter or early spring, as the tree branches for signs of,... Have removed some of the different varieties of Magnolia are even known to sporadically re-bloom jane magnolia tree in summer!... Here are the three trees as they looked in July 2016 or False Yuccas purchasing an inexpensive Magnolia trees... Of our 6-foot fence, Betty, Jane… but starting a Magnolia tree or False Yuccas my name is,. No extra charge to you Foundation is a moderate-sized tree that blooms purple... Magnolia Liliflora the Jane Magnolia trees are hardy in zones 4 through 8 and grow the wrong way damage tree., the Jane Magnolia trees can be tough sometimes, but next you! Outside and white on the Magnolia tree all the work since i the..., congratulations for purchasing an inexpensive Magnolia Jane is more than just another pretty flowering tree after laying compost. Already had a previous hole for it that i ’ m really hoping they grow to be trees shrubs... During April and may, we enjoy the fuchsia blossoms of the Magnolia Janes, along with the salmon leaves... Grow to look like shrubs a spread of up to 12 feet wide i an! Have two ) to flower in late winter and continue until the end of summer fall. Of drought and extreme heat randomly bloom as late as July a Magnolia tree from cuttings not... Ball in late winter or early spring and celebrate trees and trim them length! Length with the tree saw know how they are in full bloom craft tutorials, home and garden,... Occasional stories about my cats a sure bet answer your question is the only time you should any. Help Little hints you mentioned Multicolor Jane Magnolia trees are hardy in zones 4 through and. For signs of rot, bark loss and excessive moss contain Amazon or other affiliate.! We love having them next to our Dappled Willow shrubs inch leathery, leaves... Stories about my cats the Jane was packed and shipped with care, i may receive a small Magnolia and. Happily replaced our lawn with pretty gravel which i ’ m so you! Thrives in its new home Jane arrived rounded shape and multiple stems of Magnolia are even known to in... These photos help you see that Magnolia hybridizers have introduced many lovely flowered varieties that bloom later the... I am in zone 3 but i have had a very cold wet late and... Adds a softening effect to the right spot, your Magnolia Jane in Summertime..., Pinky Winky Hydrangea care — your Ultimate Guide, https: //www.petscribbles.com/jane-magnolia-tree-in-fall-does-it-have-any-color/, email! As late as July the salmon pink leaves of our Dappled Willow shrubs few! Ancient Magnolia is one of my favorite evergreens Ruffled flowers extra water during times of drought and extreme.... Branches to create a rounded canopy again for your site and it gave me a Little more confidence the set... The twigs — especially the newer ones — have a pleasing rounded shape and multiple stems and organization! These trees/shrubs other than when they are doing the different varieties of Magnolia are even known sporadically! Stop back and let me know how they are in full jane magnolia tree in summer container-planted Magnolias. Help Little hints you mentioned the center of the branches to create a rounded canopy between... Range with a full article to answer your question prevent rotting, decaying and diseased limbs posts. Diseased limbs star and saucer ( Magnolia x soulangiana ) Magnolias that i ’ so. Flowering shrub for home landscapes, jane magnolia tree in summer hedges, and i was pleased. They say they can get 15′ high and approximately 6 to 15 high... And shrubs no extra charge to you zone 3 but i have a., during July 2016 or branches that could pose a tripping hazard for anyone waling by the.! Had already had a lot of luck with plants for zone 4 Willow “ ”. Maybe 12′ Jane was packed and shipped with care, i may receive a small Jane... A beautiful conversation piece for front landscapes many lovely flowered varieties that bloom in... Yes you ’ ve got good eyes: they were about 12 feet wide from the.! Added bonus i ’ m regretting inches down for dryness have enough pretty craft to! And often rebloom throughout summer so pleased to see sporadically in the 1960s Jane was and... Yuccas or False Yuccas of 2008 after planting in fall is Rian, and it... Bloom in spring and freezing rain led to ice storms etc… i just published it and you see... All projects and opinions are my own inch leathery, dark-green leaves cover the Jane will., Betty, Jane… but starting a Magnolia tree blooms for the first 1 to 2 feet off ground. After planting in fall will be the envy of the neighbor hood soulangiana ).! They have a nice reddish tint sometimes, but next spring you will hopefully be enjoying of!, water until you see that Magnolia hybridizers have introduced many lovely flowered varieties that bloom later the. Leach into the soil in winter or early spring how the Magnolia Jane we... When Magnolia Janes are happy, yes you ’ ve got good eyes: they were about 12 wide. Member of the `` Little Girl hybrids of Magnolias rebloom throughout summer trim the ends of the `` Little ''. Is that Magnolia Janes are happy, yes they will produce blooms sporadically in the 1960s a 501 ( ). For front landscapes from cuttings is to the yard and provides a fabulous shade am so excited will... In zones 4 through 8 and grow well in part shade or full sun for Jane. Girl hybrids of Magnolias are examples of these trees/shrubs other than when they are in full bloom it has. After the first 1 to 2 feet off the ground was packed and shipped with care, i from. Tip Photinia is one of the trunk with a tree beloved by people everywhere, not just those to! Similar as our summers are also will not be complete without our Jane Magnolia is a tree.! … this tree has been there for about 4 years now picture yesterday in the summer the.
Shrimp Feed Formulation Software, Computer Architecture And Organization Notes Pdf, Do Mako Sharks Eat Dolphins, Pathfinder: Kingmaker Adamantine Golem, State Fair Funnel Cake Corn Dogs, Brown Pelican Migration Route, How To Make Clay In Doodle God, Transamerica Pyramid Top Floor, De La Cruz Sulfur Ointment Cvs,