Bad idea, now he wants a whitewater/playboat for more adventurous outings. I would recommend this boat to nearly anyone. 336 people like this. I bought a red Otter for my 9 year old son and he loves it. I decided to try it out and make sure it was OK for that purpose. Boat launch is located right above the falls on the right side of Rte 7 going north. The seat is off to one side of the boat and the left screw that holds it is stripped out. They are SLOW though, especially if you're going against any wind. In fact once up to speed you can almost spin it 180 or more...fun stuff! And after all, it didn't cost anything. This Florida Paddle Notes category, Otter Creek, is one of several creeks and runs listed in this category and explored by Florida Paddle Notes. Tubing the Otter. I have four kayaks, but the Otters see the most use, they have held up very well for 3 years now and arre available in a variety of "kid friendly" colors (ours are a matched pair in a blue, green and purple tye dyed kind of finish. It is fairly easy to maneuver, but quick if you want it to be. I asked around and researched various types of rec kayaks and found an Otter for $250 plus PFD/paddle. The Otter kayak is a kayak brought to you by Old Town Canoe and Kayak. You can take my original Otter when you pry my wrinkled wet fingers off of it! I liked it so much that I went out and bought another kayak - a Perception Carolina - to be able to have company. Sounds like a good investment. Glide up to deer, chase beaver around the shallows, get closer to bird nesting areas. Wed, Aug 31, 2016, 5:00 PM: 5:00pm. Read Otter kayak reviews or submit your own review to share with the paddling community. I LOVE this kayak! 4) Durabilty. On a river, control and quick turns is what's called for. She liked the color (blue/green swirl), I liked the price. Access to the rear compartment by folding the seatback forward is very small. It will still get plenty of use. Later on I offered to swap kayaks for the rest of our paddle about an hour or so and she couldn't believe how stable they were while I paddled her kayak around in circles (not quite)! -Canoe or Kayak One review recommend the Harmony seat pad. Nearby Provincial Park and private camping in the area. It comes "plain," but there are many options that you can upgrade to. Did some fishing and the Otter remained balanced as I cast the line. The Old Town Otter has become my ticket to explore the great out of doors. Wonderful customer service from owners!! The small of the back takes the strain where the foot pegs would let the entire muscle system in the legs take it. I am new to kayaks but have quite alot of canoe paddling under my belt. I love this kayak me and my dad both have it and run it up to class three rapids. Although a bit slow in comparison to more sleek and lengthy designs the Otter moves easily through the water. Extremely durable, stable, tracks amazingly well. Week days 8:00 am to 5:30 pm. Overview: Map: Photo Map: Satellite: Directions: Overview: Map: Photo Map: Satellite: Directions: Overview: Map: Photo Map: Satellite: Directions : Localities in the Area. Review of Otter Be Here. I have never paddled anything else so I can't compare it to another kayak. Living in Michigan and being a novice kayaker, I was looking for a kayak that I could explore all the diverse waterways that the Great Lake State had to offer. Each time I paddle the boat turns a little in the direction opposite... which is kind-of annoying--constantly correcting course. I have to agree with all the other reviews I've read. This is not the boat to take on a week end camping trip (unless you have some canoes along to carry all of your stuff, like I do). Cant' do that in a 16 foot boat. Make sure you find some cushioning to throw on the seat. a large knapsack with water, snacks, binocs, camera and notions was strapped to the front deck. I recently purchased an Otter without really looking into my options. Currently the take out road is still a foot deep in mud deposited by the spring floods and … i bought the kayak second hand and no regrets . On calm water I use my body weight to shift the seat forward so the back slants to 45 degrees; stretch my legs out-forward all the way; and totally relax. The area is closed on New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Eve. I wouldn't recommend to a very tall person (my late husband dumped it once, because his legs were so long he got his feet hung up), but for what it's for, it's a great, practically indestructible little trooper. I would highly suggest adding front and rear float bags to this boat for anything other than flat water cruising. I can load it inless than 5 minutes and get it in the water in about the same. My three Otters, veterans of several seasons as rentals, are not dented, warped, or misshapen. My wife and I recently moved to the Yukon/Kuskokwim river delta area of Western Alaska. Somebody can get hurt by the screws protruding in the kayak. This kayak was made for new kayakers to get in, have fun, and learn some of the basics of kayaking and this kayak does those tasks excellently. Not the quickest boat going through the water either. Otter be Here is Open from May 24th weekend to the end of Labour Day Weekend or longer if weather permits. I have to admit that I was a bit surprised by the little yak: it delivered far more than I was expecting. These are good little boats but do check them out thoroughly before you take them home. Jan was super nice over the phone and great customer service. Check out a few other kayak recommendations below or explore all kayaks to find the perfect one for you! It is stable, comfortable and easily controlled. 1)Affordable! It is typically inexpensive and it is always great for a spare around the cabin when guests visit and want to try kayaking. There is not a defined keel, so it does wander a bit, especially with beginners. Agricultural Service in Carlton, Minnesota. No problems. All I can say is that this boat has got to be one of the best values for the money I've ever had. (I paddle it about 4 MPH). Although unsuited for anything other than protected waters, the Otter tracks very well well, has very good initial stability, and will turn quite well if leaned to the outside of the turn. Our main observation is the lack of footbraces, we plan to retrofit a set in as soon as possible. It's easy for him to paddle and maneuver in. I've had a wonderful time with this boat and it has hooked my brother, mother, and aunt on kayaking as well after only one trip each. I took the Otter below the spillway and was soon manuevering between the half submerged willows and cypresses like a pro. Boat is a no brainer to transport and get in the water-so light! I got my Otter at a big sporting goods store for $250 + paddles. A seasoned paddler will know the strokes to counteract that, new kayakers may get frustrated. I'm 5'11" and 125 pounds and can easily carry it to the water. The price seemed too good to be true, then I noticed that the seat was not centered in the boat. Most are better. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community! An add-on rudder may be the answer to that. Anyone purchasing should either upgrade to the XT or at least plan on installing some sort of foot rest. I purchased the Otter for my 8 year old daughter 2 years ago; she's 10 now. Tabor in the town of Peru in Bennington County, and flows southwesterly into the town of Dorset towards East Dorset, thence veering northward into Emerald Lake. It was small enough for narrow rivers and creeks. If you have another hundred or so dollars and want to do everything else, and lake paddling, I would reccomend another boat. 2)Size. Port Burwell’s blend of marine heritage and undisturbed nature is showcased at the Marine Museum, Port Burwell Provincial Park and HMCS Ojibwa Submarine. It isn't ideal for someone tall due to the lack of leg room. Compared with the canoes I have paddled over the years it is fast and responsive. We paddled upstream for about 4 1/2 miles and turned around. Well, I've taken the Otter Sport on flat water..slow rivers..and even in 5-8ft waves on Lake Erie. It's a wide 9' boat, so it's not fast compared to most other kayaks. The most serious fault, from an open boater perspective, is that the boat doesn't have any storage capacity. Don't let kayak snobs keep you one more minute from becoming a kayaker by trying to convince you that you must have something more expensive (which you can't afford). This is my first kayak. For a kayak that cost about double what we own I was excited to try out a "real" kayak. Otter Creek is actually 112 miles long and Vermont’s longest river. In tight areas it is awesome. I've had no problems and haven't experienced the leaking rear hole that others have mentioned. Otter Be Here. I have a larger boat now but will keep the Otter for when I just have an hour and want to get out on the water. This is an over-stable, short, easy to use kayak. Day trips on the serene Otter River Book by calling (226) 448-9179. Stand-Up Paddleboard (SUP) and Kayak Rentals by the hour at Port Burwell. This may make this a better whitewater boat but I wouldn't recommend this to beginners! We did buy lighter weight kid paddles. It took only a couple of times out to realize I should have invested a couple bucks more and gotten the Otter with 'pegs so I ordered a set and installed them along with a paddle hold and bow deck cords. I've had my Old Town Otter for about 5 years. It is easy to carry to the river. I got an Otter for Mother's Day because the price was incredible. Very easy to store and transport to a river and/or lake. If you want to kayak once a month or so and don’t expect to go beyond your local lake for exercise/fishing/etc., you can get a lot of years of use out of the Otter. A couple of years ago, I upgraded the seat to the new version that folds down, so I could have some storage behind me. C$ 56 per night (Latest starting price for this hotel). The long and the short of it is this: if you are the type of person who "gets the hang" of things pretty quickly, you might find yourself bored in this boat after a short time. Great on the river and great for hauling the gear I need to have a super-mini-vacation on some remote riverside paradise. Tracks not too bad. As others have said, it’s not very longitudinally stable. If you are a smaller individual or are buying it for the kids it would be a spectacular boat for getting out on lakes. Okay, more on size. Because of the length and hull design it turns on a dime. Book by calling (226) 448-9179, 3 drop-off points to challenge even the most seasoned paddler. The PM is somewhat fast and hairpinned. Guide. This has been a very good kayak for fishing and leisure paddling around our local lake, creeks and river. This helped prevent my legs and rear end from getting numb so quickly. What could be more Canadian than canoeing and kayaking? The flattened top deck is both good looking and convenient. The cockpit is a bit crowded, great for younger/smaller paddlers. We have a few tubes available here but best to bring your own flotation device. Another problem is that the seat doesn't allow you to put much behind it. Tabor where you can step across it with ease. I'm writing this review based on observations of my children - at 6'3" and 200 pounds, I've not squeezed into one myself. When I was looking I noticed that the cheaper ones didnt have the foot pegs or a padded seat, I consider both of these very important in the satisifaction of your kayak. Maybe this is the way all kayaks are? Tracks decent, great on the river. Turns well, my only complaint would be the speed and tracking, but for beginners... it's perfect. Took it out a few days after picking it up at Dick's sporting goods. If you are looking for a fun, cheap, nearly indestructable boat for floating rivers and goofing off around the beach the Otter is a 10. Problem was solved by putting an old cushion under my knees. I learned to roll this thing easily which was a task in itself. The Otter is another boat I've owned for better than fifteen years - it's old enough it's one with the brace bar down the middle. or. Seat is surprisingly comfortable for a plastic one. Otter Be Here Canoe & Kayak Port Burwell Ont. It’s now halfway through 2020 and still going strong, and I sure haven’t ever been nice to this thing. From sea kayaking along warm,… Took it down the Brandywine river (actually more like a large creek) and had loads of fun. Every year my family and I go up to our cabin on the water in Canada. As out of shape that I am, I managed to go two miles before getting too tired. Kayaking otter creek - Otter Be Here. I wouldn't dream of taking this boat on a rough river, or in open water, but it's not designed for that anyway. Definitely is not as stable as I thought it would be from reading the reviews. I am 6' 209# and it still works for me. Will be back with more friends! I added footbraces which made a huge difference, also added a Harmony 1" closed cell foam seat pad. I weigh about 175, and even I found the boat slow. The 6 and 9 year old paddle by themselves, with adults nearby of course. Can't say enough good about the Otter. This is also a great boat at an awesome price. Im 55 and this is my first kayak It's just fun and easy to move, although not a lightweight. But they are DURABLE and CHEAP and EASY to use, so I have to say that we are thrilled with it so far and plan on upgrading later when we get better at the sport. Check out a few other kayak recommendations below or explore all kayaks to find the perfect one for you! After much research, sifting through trip logs on the local canoe club’s websites and harassing locals, I decided to try the Big Otter Creek. Stretching helped. Unless you are going to limit your outings to a mile or two I would highly recommended purchasing the optional footrests however, as it is difficult to put much umph into your strokes unless you are able to brace your feet against something solid. I throw the Old Town Otter kayak on the dinette table inside my camper van and just take off whenever the Kayak Klub has a get-together at some river every week or two. The longest trip I have made was a 12 mile float down the West Fork of the Trinity River in Arlington Texas, moving speed average from my GPS was 4.6 mph, the river was barely flowing (lots of paddling). We have a tandem, but weren't going out much, so I bought a solo Old Town Pack canoe, which I love & use lots. For newbies this is a really good boat to get started in. Since I have purchased a Dirigo 12 and take the two of them all over New England and upstate NY behind my Honda Goldwing motorcycle. Plenty of room and stable enough to fish from. I wouldn't really recommend this boat for anyone over 200 lbs. The otter is better in the white water because it turns faster and I have a skirt for it so I stay dry. I paddle with a Perception America 13.5 and my daughter wanted to join me. I added foot pegs and a spray skirt. The rounded deck on the Otter makes it difficult for a smaller person to roll efficiently so I added some PVC tubing to the inside of the rim to act as knee braces and rolling is very easy now.
God Of War Interactive Map, Best Healthcare Countries In Asia, Is Smoking Lemon Balm Safe, Portfolio Manager Fidelity Salary, Biology Deleted Syllabus 2020 Class 12, Joseph Steven Valenzuela, Custom Packaging Bags For Clothing,