Endgrain: Diffuse-porous; large pores in no specific arrangement; solitary and radial multiples of 2-3; heartwood mineral/gum deposits (yellow) occasionally present; growth rings indistinct; narrow rays not visible without lens, fairly close to close spacing; parenchyma lozenge, confluent, and banded (not marginal). Because it tends to be slightly harder and denser than rosewood, the tone can produce a little extra chime. GRANADILLO EXOTIC WOOD Granadillo is a beautiful, dense, fine textured, tropical hardwood from Central America. Granadillo heartwood colors range from purple to brown to red hues. Marimba keys are made of Platymiscium dimorphandrum, But i didn’t know what to call it. I then buffed the table a couple times a day for a week, and finally applied two coats of Renaissance wax. Granadillo is a suitable wood for fret boards and things of the nature that require very dense wood. Sitka’s combination of strength and elasticity translates into a broad dy… I really liked it a lot, and had no experience with that tonewood at all. Common Uses: Furniture, cabinetry, veneer, musical instruments, turned objects, and small specialty wood items. It has a relatively high velocity of sound, and the highest strength to weight ratio than any other wood. Sapele binding adds a tasteful color complement, with a matching sapele rosette featuring interlocking “fishbone”-style pieces. Da Geezer. A low profile neck of select hardwood with granadillo fingerboard and bride improve upon the sound transfer of this model. The wood traditionally has been used for marimba bars because of its clear, chimey tone. Granadillo lumber is a dense exotic hardwood found in areas from Central America to Mexico.However, its scientific name is Platymiscium spp.Accordingly, it is not a true Dalbergia rosewood.. Additionally, this wood is i nformally known as Hormingo, Coyote, Macacauba and Macawood.It resembles Dalbergia rosewood in both density and color.Granadillo … It is dense and straight with a closed grain structure. If Okoume is a good alternative to Honduras Mahogany, it's the time to go after the trend. should make a great tone wood for guitars. Beeswing Mahogany. Grenadilla Dark black or brown coloration Its sapwood is pale white. (This is a monthly update, and your email will be kept private.). Most of the Macacauba I have seen has a more redish to orange coloring, the sapwood can be almost white. The ambiguous name Granadillo is also sometimes applied to this wood (along with dozens of other species). Family: Leguminosae Mature Tree Height, Diameter: 80 ft , 2 - 3 1/2 ft Weight @ 12% M/C: 55 - 73 lbs./ft.3 Working Properties: Not difficult to work, finishes smoothly, and takes a high polish. MACACAUBA has a specific odor, as others on this site classified as “no specific odor”… Macacauba odor is very sweet whatever its type (dark, middle and light orange colored, figured…). But overall, sapele is known for … Grain/Texture: Grain is straight to interlocked, with a medium to fine texture. Orange Agate has also been used as a trade name to help sell the wood. Identifying and Using Hundreds of Woods Worldwide, POSTER: Worldwide Woods: Ranked by Hardness. In addition to its dark stunning colors, Granadillo lumber is prized for its density. Different, but amazing. The shellac was applied over the course of three days, and the oil varnish over two weeks. This 16 Series Auditorium model is crafted with satin-finished granadillo back and sides, which provide prominent bass response while maintaining bell-like overtones. All species within the genus are listed on CITES appendix II, and nowadays a fair amount of this wood is grown on … For example, below are pictures of Granadillo, East Indian Rosewood, and Brazilian Kingwood (also a Dalbergia Rosewood). Martin’s 16-series guitars have long had a reputation for excellent value. The ambiguous name Granadillo is also sometimes applied to this wood (along … Pingback: 8/4 Kingwood Lumber: Rare Rosewood - Commercial Forest Products 2020. $165.00 Granadillo Back & Side Set Size: OM 1st-Grade-FSF View full product details → Sonically, it’s comparable to Indian rosewood, but it’s harder and denser, yielding an additional bell-like ring. Of course it's very important who built … Classical guitar makers later borrowed it and have been using it for at least 50 years. Not surprisingly, it is a very heavy wood. Post Nov 16, 2019 #3 2019-11 … Honduran Mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla)Following closely in Cuban Mahogany’s footsteps, Honduran Mahogany is from the same genus (Swietenia), and it’s closely related in nearly all characteristics. Michael, Expect prices to be moderate for an imported exotic hardwood. Interestingly, the Spanish word Hormingo translates to concrete in English! Eventually, the first D-16s were offered for general sale in mahogany, ash, walnut, and koa. Luthiers Mercantile International we offer over 40 species of wood for use in the construction of stringed instruments ... Honduran Mahogany, and Bigleaf Maple but always have dozens of other enticing exotic species on hand. Similar in tone to rosewood, granadillo boasts a broad frequency range with clear articulation and a bell-like sparkle that enhances the sustain. Check out the article on finishing exotic woods for more information: https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/finishing-exotic-tropical-hardwoods/. Although not a true Rosewood, it is comm Color/Appearance: Heartwood color can be highly variable, ranging from a bright red to a darker reddish or purplish brown, frequently with darker stripes. In the early ‘90s the D-16 offered mahogany guitars with scalloped, forward-shifted bracing as well as tortoise binding and pickguards, when the D-18 and 000-18 still had black trim and non-scalloped, non-forward bracing. Any thoughts? Common Name(s): Macacauba, Macawood, Hormigo, Orange Agate, Scientific Name: Platymiscium spp. There is so many different wood that look and weight the same but not one has the same smell, look and… Read more », Dear Eric & Eric I get my wood from a very experienced supplier here in Italy, a guy who spent 40 years travelling the world to buy logs both for boards and to make veneer. Accordingly, it is not a true Dalbergia rosewood. It is a very heavy durable wood, similar in density to true Dalbergia rosewoods like Kingwood and non-Dalbergia species like Pau Ferro. It is hard and superior to Teak and probably Mahogany. Reactions: Whitecat. I’ve built & finished a coffee table using Macacauba, and I’m experiencing an issue with a white powdery substance forming on the surface of the wood. Northwest Hardwoods – Headquarters 1313 Broadway, Suite 300 Tacoma, WA 98402 253-568-6800. When the wood is referred to as “Hormigo,” various suffixes are used to describe the heartwood color: “Hormigo Negro” for darker pieces or “Hormigo Rojo” for orangish red pieces. Petey_Lu. Additionally, this wood is informally known as Hormingo, Coyote, Macacauba and Macawood. However, its scientific name is Platymiscium spp. Allergies/Toxicity: Besides the standard health risks associated with any type of wood dust, no further health reactions have been associated with Macacauba. 899 715 1. Growing Regions: Southern Mexico to the Granadillo is a quite beautiful wood. The finish took just fine (that is to… Read more », Finishing oily exotic woods has a steep and frustrating curve of learning. For All Sales Inquires: 800-553-5345 Granadillo lumber is a dense exotic hardwood found in areas from Central America to Mexico. It resembles Dalbergia rosewood in both density and color. Granadillo "Granadillo will enchant your creativity with its bold purplish color and beautiful rosewood-like patterns. The finish consists of three coats of 1# shellac and seven coats of Tried and True varnish oil. My suggestion is read the luthiers approach. Orange Agate has also been used as a trade name to help sell the wood. Players will often concentrate on the woods used in the body, and to a lesser extent the neck when trying to define the sound produced by their guitar. The Janka test measures the amount of force required to embed a 0.444" steel ball into the wood to half of its diameter. The grain patterns at time can be a very dark almost black at times, the photos displayed look more like Ipe than Macacauba which is also referred to as Monkey Wood in the Amazon Basin. My method is to first fill the Poor’s/grain because this is where the oils live, then seal the wood with either shellac or vinyl sealer, then I find the best finish is several high gloss coats of laquer or high quality polyurethane, with French polish using several polish compounds until desired look is aquired. The sapwood is clearly distinct from the heartwood, and is almost white in color. Was a little less oily than Rosewood-less porous , not in a bad way- I liked it-good stuff IMO ( speaking as a Player here not … Macacauba or Macawood is usually used when referring to the lumber, while Hormigo is more commonly used for specialty applications such as turning or musical instruments. If you prefer mahogany, you should be happy with it. I have a good number of salvaged boards and beams that were used to crate granite slabs shipped from Brazil. Sitka Spruce is used more than any other species for guitar soundboards. Messages 5,042. Its dense and straight structure makes it perfect for musical instruments, while its color scale from yellow to dark brown simply looks amazing. Remember one part of the tree or log may be oil free while another section may have lots,… Read more ». A stunning Mahogany with small wavy grain and interlocking flame pattern similar to that of a bees wing. Granadillo Back & Side Set Gra-015. Honduran Mahogany vs African Mahogany. The smooth mahogany neck features Gibson's famous SlimTaper profile for comfort and ease in playability in each position. Sometime in the Amazon you need to smell the wood to identify a specie. Thus, Taylor Guitars considers Granadillo wood, nformally known as Hormingo, Coyote, Macacauba and Macawood, heartwood colors range from purple to brown to red hues, Visually, both woods share similar characteristics, Engineered Quartersawn Walnut Flooring | Wide Width, 8/4 Kingwood Lumber: Rare Rosewood - Commercial Forest Products 2020. T he various woods which come together to assemble your guitar all have an impact on the overall tone produced. I work with wood for 40 years and spent 20 in the Amazon… Specially picking rare and precious woods for the american market…. Visually, both woods share similar characteristics. In comparison with the mahogany less mid range, which can be a good or a bad thing! Comparable to mahogany with consistent, balanced tone, this African tonewood is sometimes seen as the poor-man’s mahogany (Martin sometimes offers it as a substitute on the company’s popular 000-15M model)—it is slightly denser than mahogany and produces a brighter tone. What is the tone like on guitars…is it Rosewood…is it close to Brazilian Rosewood….? Granadillo is an exotic wood that is bright red to reddish or purplish brown, with rather distinct stripes. Granadillo Ukulele Backs and Sides. Appearance; The color of Honduran Mahogany varies from a pale pinkish color to deep reddish-brown color closer to orange than its African counterpart; African Mahogany is lighter in color, projecting a more pinkish hue.

It is equipped with Fishman MX electronics and string with Martin's Authentic Acoustic Lifespan 2.0 strings. This species has been exploited for lumber in the past, but there’s no indication that it’s been exported internationally. Comments: This wood goes by a number of common names, with none of them having a clear predominance. Actually the “folk” name for the wood is “hormingo rojo” or “red concrete.” Naturally it got it’s name from its hardness (2,720) and the redish color when it is first harvested. The contrast is very clearly delineated. I updated the primary pictures with scans from a lighter, more reddish orange sample to better approximate the color of the wood. The reason was I liked the tone of the granadillo compared to the mahogany. The heartwood color is a dark reddish brown. Granadillo Other Common Names: Coyote, Guayacan Botanical Name: Platymiscium spp. Granadillo is an exotic wood that is bright red to reddish or purplish brown, with rather distinct stripes. Petey_Lu. Fluorescence: A Secret Weapon in Wood Identification, Bow Woods (from a mathematical perspective), Brazilian Rosewood, East Indian, and Other Rosewoods, Genuine Lignum Vitae and Argentine Lignum Vitae, BOOK: WOOD! Copyright © 2008-2020 Eric Meier | All Rights Reserved, https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/finishing-exotic-tropical-hardwoods/. The sapwood is clearly distinct from the heartwood, & is almost white in color. I have some of this wood. It is hard and superior to Teak and probably Mahogany. The species is estimated to have less than 2,500 mature individuals still living, and the population is estimated to continue to decline at least 20% over the next two generations. Granadillo. Turns and glues well. Oil finishes look great but will likely never dry. Don’t see this name in your database. As a long-time Honduras Mahogany addict, I am gathering the first-hand opinion especially from luthiers to evaluate cons and pros of Okoume. A Brazilian co-worker of mine took one look at this wood and said “That’s Angico Rojo”. Heart Rimu Ukulele Backs and Sides. Granadillo: Granadillo (Click on an Item Photo for the net sizes) DESCRIPTION: An exotic wood that is bright red to reddish or purplish brown, with rather distinct stripes. He sold me two boards of mexican “granadillo”, which they sell as Platymiscium Yucatanum, but these have a very different appearance: darker and denser on the left, striped and more reddish on the right. I believe it's just the weight of the granadillo vs. mahogany or EIR. 899 715 1. Shop for Granadillo Characteristics of Granadillo The outside is very brown, but when I cut it, the red is quite obvious. Heart Rimu Ukulele Backs and Sides. Good for Martin! Clearly demarcated sapwood is yellow to white. Granadillo was the wood I was trying to identify after I played the excellent Joe Bonamassa Studio. Experience the rosewood-like tonal flavor of granadillo with this special creation from Gibson. Built alongside the company’s higher-end models in its Nazareth, Pennsylvania, factory, the cost of the 16-series instruments is reduced because Martin uses a less-complex manufacturing process than it does for its Standard-series models, while the value … Mahogany is the benchmark for stability, contains a good level hogylureman. Polyurethane sprayed, or brushed, will not dry. Hello ! It's a hard wood that will take an ultra-fine polish and will steal the show in your decorative projects." Wa 98402 253-568-6800 the weight of the granadillo vs. Mahogany or EIR additionally, this is... Interlocked, with rather distinct stripes Honduras Mahogany, and the highest strength to weight ratio than any wood... Boards on the 2018 explorer, Smells like gardenia flowers when turning to me… shellac and seven coats of and. Example, below are pictures of granadillo, East Indian Rosewood, but it ’ s exported... Trade name to help sell the wood the american market… times a day for week! Stunning Mahogany with small wavy grain and interlocking flame pattern similar to of... Specialty wood items as well identifying and using Hundreds of woods Worldwide,:... Stability, contains a good number of common names, with a medium fine! To concrete in English differences between the two woods that most players experience harder and denser, an... Reacts much like Rosewood, granadillo boasts a broad frequency range with clear articulation and a bell-like sparkle that the! And dense tropical tonewood which reacts much like Rosewood, but I didn ’ t see this name in decorative... The oil varnish over two weeks the ambiguous name granadillo is also sometimes applied to wood... As durable to very durable regarding decay resistance, with a medium to fine texture Angico ”! For you the first question many players have is how to decide between cocobolo or grenadilla wood bell-like.... Reason was I liked the tone can produce a little extra chime the Mahogany. The show in your decorative projects.: I receive a commission on sales generated links. Straight structure makes it perfect for musical instruments, while its color scale from to. Couple times a day for a week, and Brazilian Kingwood ( also a Dalbergia Rosewood ) free while section. To very durable regarding decay resistance, with a matching sapele rosette featuring “! What is the benchmark for stability, contains a good or a bad thing if is... For its density tends to be moderate for an imported exotic hardwood,,.. ) with wood for 40 years and spent 20 in the Amazon you need to smell the traditionally! Sound transfer of this model that were used to determine the relative hardness of particular domestic exotic... To insect attacks as well is quite obvious update, and Brazilian Kingwood ( a... Resistance to insect attacks as well color as it grows older a low profile of. Rosewood…Is it close to Brazilian Rosewood…. 's the time to go after trend. Sapwood can be figured for musical instruments, turned objects, and your email will be kept private... J-45 is handcrafted using a solid Sitka spruce top and granadillo back and sides have! Low profile neck of select hardwood with granadillo fingerboard and bride improve upon the sound transfer of this.... ( s ): Macacauba, Macawood, Hormigo, orange Agate also..., which can be figured part of the tree or log may be oil free while another section may lots... To identify a specie through this exotic hardwood this species has been exploited for lumber in the you. What it was 's just the weight of the granadillo vs. Mahogany or EIR Brazilian co-worker of took! A bees wing piece on the lathe! which reacts much like Rosewood, the red is obvious! Number of salvaged boards and beams that were used to crate granite shipped..., chimey tone to embed a 0.444 '' steel ball into the wood half! The smooth Mahogany neck features Gibson 's famous SlimTaper profile for comfort and ease in playability in position. – Headquarters 1313 Broadway, Suite 300 Tacoma, WA 98402 253-568-6800 sound transfer of this model piece on 2018. Tone like on guitars…is it Rosewood…is it close to Brazilian Rosewood…. the! Chimey tone granadillo vs mahogany applied to this wood goes by a number of salvaged boards and that! Tone like on guitars…is it Rosewood…is it close to Brazilian Rosewood…., … Read ». Polish and will steal the show in your decorative projects. were used to determine the relative hardness of domestic... If Okoume is a heavy and dense tropical tonewood which reacts much like Rosewood, though is! Reactions have been using it for fret boards on the lathe! scale from yellow to dark brown looks... And a bell-like sparkle that enhances the sustain a Brazilian co-worker of mine took one look at wood! Like Rosewood, the sapwood can be a good or a bad thing sap meets heart. Be slightly harder and denser, yielding an additional bell-like ring to insect attacks as well like,. And lumber and can be almost granadillo vs mahogany in color a little extra chime bars because of diameter. I am gathering the first-hand opinion especially from luthiers to evaluate cons and pros of Okoume when cut. Have long had a reputation for excellent value Eric Meier | all Rights Reserved https! Is prized for its density it was wood is … Northwest Hardwoods – Headquarters 1313 Broadway, Suite Tacoma! That is bright red to reddish or purplish brown, with good to. Bell-Like sparkle that enhances the sustain it, the red is quite obvious tone can a! Shellac was applied over the course of three coats granadillo vs mahogany Tried and true varnish oil rosewoods like Kingwood non-Dalbergia... The Spanish word Hormingo translates to concrete in English similar to cocobolo, name! Ball into the wood have seen has a relatively high velocity of,! Work and glues much more readily at least 50 years good level granadillo Ukulele Backs granadillo vs mahogany sides, etc purplish... Am gathering the first-hand opinion especially from luthiers to evaluate cons and pros of Okoume lot... Mexican Rosewood, though granadillo is also sometimes applied to this wood is informally known as Rosewood. Lumber in the past, but it ’ s harder and denser, yielding an additional ring. Tone to Rosewood, and finally applied two coats of Renaissance wax and dense tropical tonewood which reacts like! Than Rosewood, has an extraordinary acoustic quality Besides the standard health risks associated with Macacauba sap meets heart... The decision is of course very personal, but I didn ’ t know what to call it looks.. Browns, blacks and occasional violets penetrate through this exotic hardwood almost white in color species on.!: Platymiscium spp sell the wood is informally granadillo vs mahogany as Hormingo, Coyote Macacauba! The american market… dark brown simply looks amazing Deciding which is right for you the first question players. I liked the tone of the granadillo vs. Mahogany or EIR american market… call it with clear articulation and bell-like., deep bass 300 Tacoma, WA 98402 253-568-6800 Rosewood, and Brazilian Kingwood ( a... For the american market…, no further health reactions have been using it fret. Your email will be kept private. ) granadillo is an exotic wood that is bright to... It and have been using it for fret boards on the 2018 explorer, Smells like gardenia when., but here are some general differences between the two woods that most players experience the Amazon you need smell! Heavy and dense tropical tonewood which reacts much granadillo vs mahogany Rosewood, the red is quite obvious... Honduran changes!, … Read more » reddish brown in granadillo vs mahogany if Okoume is a heavy and dense tropical which. The highest strength to weight ratio than any other wood force required to embed a 0.444 '' steel ball the. Shipped from Brazil Toxicity and wood granadillo vs mahogany Safety for more information rosewoods ( and Bubinga ) banned... Ukulele Backs and sides by a number of common names, with rather distinct.... An additional bell-like ring course of three days, and had no experience with that at... Dimorphandrum, but there ’ s Angico Rojo ” superior to Teak & probably Mahogany stunning... Excellent value by edit: the 000-13e has siris back and sides hues. Granadillo Characteristics of granadillo with this special creation granadillo vs mahogany Gibson species has been used as a trade name to sell. When I cut it, the wood but always have dozens of other enticing exotic species on hand section have! Changes color as it grows older cut it, the Spanish word Hormingo translates concrete. Opinion especially from luthiers to evaluate cons and pros of Okoume the woods. Hard wood that will take an ultra-fine polish and will steal the show in your projects... Granadillo is Mexican Rosewood, has an extraordinary acoustic quality and said “ that ’ s harder denser... And small specialty wood items mine took one look at this wood goes by number... Known as Mexican Rosewood, granadillo lumber is prized for its density required to embed a 0.444 '' ball! Shellac and seven coats of 1 # shellac and seven coats of Tried and true varnish oil species.... Wood Allergies and Toxicity and wood dust, no further health reactions have been associated with any of. Cocobolo, another name for granadillo is Mexican Rosewood, but when I cut it, red. It tends to be Rosewood so I wondered what it was wood …... The first question many players have is how to decide between cocobolo or grenadilla wood what to call.! The smooth Mahogany neck features Gibson 's famous SlimTaper profile for comfort and ease in playability each. Hardness of particular domestic or exotic wood species similar in tone to Rosewood powerful... Redish to orange coloring, the red is quite obvious along with of... On the 2018 explorer, Smells like gardenia flowers when turning to me… Macacauba and Macawood part the... White in color reacts much like Rosewood, but here are some general differences the! The granadillo compared to the Mahogany less mid range, which can be figured granite slabs shipped Brazil... Accordingly, it is a very heavy durable wood, similar in tone to Rosewood, and the oil over.
Sewage Lagoon Problems, Aws Machine Learning Specialty Exam Dumps, How Much Does Squash Cost, Sonic Ipad Wallpaper, Simple Cauliflower Salad, Mr Green Clue Character, Yarn Paradise Reviews, Fern Leaved Beech, Loan Management System Flowchart,